This handsome guy survived surgery for a twisted stomach (gastric dilation and volvulus, or "bloat") about 8 months ago, and did it all with a heart arrythmia called atrial fibrillation. A few days ago, his owners noticed something was suddenly not right once again, and they came right in to have him checked out. He was restless, vomited, and just wasn't himself. It turns out he developed an unusual condition called a colonic torsion- this time his colon had become displaced and twisted instead of his stomach! In addition, he still had a heart arrythmia. Lance's loving owners weren't ready to say goodbye to their lovely boy, though, and he was rushed to surgery. Once again, Lance pulled through. In fact, the very next day this big guy was pulling our techs down the hall!! He's a great dog and we are so glad his attentive owners have him home with them tonight.
Did you know All Valley has endoscopes? In the photo below is an x-ray from Zoey. The bright curvilinear structure in her stomach is an end-on view of a piece of a tennis ball she swallowed. Luckily, we were able to remove it using an endoscope, which is less invasive than surgery, less painful, and has a much quicker recovery. Scoping is also less expensive than surgery. While not all objects can be successfully retrieved this way, it is always great when it is possible. Endoscopy is also useful to obtain GI biopsies when needed, helping us to diagnose a variety of conditions ranging from stomach ulcers to inflammatory bowel disease.
This handsome and gentle giant was visiting us recently and had no problem watching out the office door window. Atticus came down with an unexplained fever a few months ago. Initial testing failed to find a cause and he seemed to get better at first. A few days later, however, he was declining again. We noticed a mildly increased respiratory rate and rechecked chest x- rays. This time they showed a tiny amount of fluid. The fluid was tapped and found to be a bacterial infection- a condition called pythorax. Moderate to severe pythorax cases require chest tubes for treatment and several days of intensive care. But in Atticus' s case, it was found so early and was still so mild it could be treated with aggressive antibiotics. Now he is doing great! His case is a good example of why sometimes tests need to be repeated. It is also a good example of how addressing potential illnesses early can save a lot of pain, suffering, and money.
Here Is Bear on the day of his final suture removal- a triumphant day for all involved! Several months ago Bear somehow got his skin caught on an unknown object and came home with a massive wound on his side. It stretched from top of his back to under his belly, and all the skin in between was pulled back. The next picture is immediately after surgery. Unfortunately, a few days later, it was apparent that a good portion of the skin lost it's blood supply and died ( see third picture). He had a second surgery to remove the dead skin. Over the next few months Bear healed with a combination of bandage changes every few days and five separate surgeries. His amazing owner was committed to getting him healed. We are so happy this great dog his owner can finally resume their normal life together!
Adorable Riley found himself in an unlucky situation at a local shelter, which is where his new mom found him and saved him. He had kennel cough, and unfortunately it turned into pneumonia ( this is uncommon but can happen sometimes). His mom nursed him through it, and Riley decided to celebrate by eating some plastic! He got an intestinal obstruction and had to go to surgery. He recovered from that, and about a month later he developed an intussusception (telescoping of the bowel), and had to go to surgery again…. Just in time for Christmas. Sweet Riley is thankfully doing well again, but we would like to give his mom major recognition for all she has done for him. He is lucky she took him home that day from the shelter. Lets all wish Riley a less eventful new year!
Zeke is a strikingly handsome and amazingly good natured husky who has endeared himself to all the staff and doctors who meet him. Zeke was an unlucky boy who found himself at a shelter. His first adopter returned him to the shelter when he found out that Zeke has a type of skin cancer called a Mast Cell Tumor. Thankfully, Zeke’s current dad could see he was a special boy and adopted him anyway, determined to help him as much as he could.
The mass has been biopsied and determined to be “low grade”, which means a lot less likely to spread. We have also checked for spread with ultrasound and bloodwork and lymph node testing and have not found evidence the cancer has spread at this time. However, it is located in a spot– on his ankle (tarsus)– that makes it very difficult to remove. To preserve his leg, Zeke’s owners have opted for surgery to debulk the tumor, which was performed this past weekend. In a couple weeks, he is headed for Washington State Vet Teaching Hospital for a new and somewhat experimental treatment called “electrochemotherapy”. This involves several treatments where a chemo agent is injected into the tumor site, and then shocked with an electric wave. It is a good alternative for owners whose time and/or financial constraints do not allow for radiation therapy. We are hopeful and excited for Zeke!
This little cutie got himself into a whole load of trouble when he decided to raid his mom’s medicine cabinet! Louie ate several pills of several different types of medications, and came to us completely disoriented and having severe seizures and tremors. Because Louie’s symptoms were so severe, he had to be sedated for several hours to control the seizures. He was also given a substance called Intralipid intravenously. This is a lipid emulsification that can, interestingly, not only be used for partial IV nutrition, but also to help bind drugs in the blood stream. This was especially useful in this case because Louie could not take in anything by mouth due to the sedation. Louie was monitored closely, and after a couple days made a full recovery.
Sassy was such a brave, sweet patient, which is why we can’t believe anyone would be cruel enough to shoot her with an air pellet gun! The bullet entered Sassy’s abdomen, penetrating her colon in 2 places, her small intestine, her pancreas, and finally lodging in one end of her right kidney. She is such a trooper that you would never know how sick she was when she first came in. Sassy went to surgery, and Dr Kevin Knighton did a fantastic job repairing the damage, including having to remove a small portion of her intestine. She stayed at the hospital for almost a week. For awhile we didn’t know if she would make it. But she did and her owners report she is doing well! We are so excited for Sassy and her loving, devoted owners. We are also proud of our excellent doctors and staff who helped Sassy pull through this ordeal. Sassy, you’re one special and fantastic kitty!